The work of global government and non-governmental organizations on the frontlines of critical issues is woven into countless top news stories. As the United Nations, NATO, the EU and other entities respond to issues involving war and peace, trade sanctions, humanitarian crises, and so many other complex problems, professional interpreters and translators are involved in the communication at every level.
We’d like to share a few details about some of the interpreting and translation jobs Skrivanek has fulfilled in recent months for the European Union and the United Nations. It’s an honor to be entrusted with such important work, for which smooth functioning and 100% accuracy are absolutely essential. Of course, the fact is we are dedicated to those standards for every job we take on.
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) enlisted our services for a fascinating project that included interpreting and relay interpreting for their Global Dialogue on Shrinking Civic Space. (Relay interpreting is the process of interpreting from one language to another by using a third, intermediary language.) The event required interpreting from and into English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, and Chinese. Overall planning, assignment and function of technology, and execution of interpreting for the UNDP all went extremely well.
- We recently translated about 130,000 words of the UN Trust Fund’s Capacity Development documents from English into French and Spanish.
- For the United Nations Water Mission we provided remote interpreting for 12 webinars hosting hundreds of participants. We interpreted for 20 hours from English into French, Russian, Spanish, and Arabic.
- Skrivanek completed the major part of an extensive UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund) project this past February. We’re partnering with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) and the NGO Pratham, an organization dedicated to improving the quality of education. During 17 sessions of the NGO Future Leaders Network Academy (FLN) we fulfilled remote simultaneous interpreting from and into English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese. In addition to the expert organization and interpreting demands of a job like this, high quality technical expertise was essential to the success of these important meetings.
- We have provided simultaneous remote interpreting for other UN offices as well, such as UNOPS (United Nations Office for Project Services) and UN WOMEN. In March we covered 42 sessions for UN offices, from and into English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, and Portuguese, for a total of 87 hours.
- Skrivanek’s work for the European Union has been continuous since 2004 when we began to partner with the EU’s Translation Centre in Luxembourg. This past winter we were busy with translation for the European Parliament, Court of Justice of the European Union, Council of the European Union, and the Committee of the Regions and European Commission. We completed hundreds of assignments, thanks to the superior skills and varied subject matter backgrounds of our translators who have, in some cases, been working on our EU project for years.