When Skrivanek receives a job request, a project manager is assigned to match the project requirements with translators who have the best possible background for the job. Consideration is given to the depth of their translation experience, as well as their familiarity with the material, products, and specific documents involved. If a subject is exceptionally specialized, we add subject matter experts to the team.
Accurate translation begins with the selection of language specialists
Skrivanek’s local vendor management teams search the world for linguists and subject matter experts capable of delivering the full scope of your translation needs. In all countries, every Skrivanek translator must:
- have at least 2 years of translation experience* combined with a college degree.
- have at least 5 years of translation experience* and related educational degrees, to be considered a senior translator.
- possess and maintain specialized knowledge from education or work experience in their field of expertise.
- be a native speaker in the target language.
In our project management system we keep profiles on all of our linguists, detailing their unique experience, qualifications, and subject matter expertise. In addition:
- New translators complete a thorough recruitment process and a trial period of careful monitoring and evaluation.
- Translators and proofreaders are regularly tested in linguistic and subject matter expertise, communication skills, technical skills, and stylistic knowledge. Test results are stored and available in our project management system.
- Every translator working on a particular project must become familiar with client terminology, glossaries, samples or past translations, and must strictly follow these precedents, adding new terminology only when approved by the client.
- Ongoing additional training is available to all linguists in a range of areas, from workshops on the use of specific software tools such as SDL Trados, to quality control procedure.
*These are our minimum standards; however, our translators have an average of 9 years experience and our reviewers 16 years.
Where do the subject matter experts come from?
Here’s an example.